🔢 Key Takeaways
- Mayor Suarez believes in the transformative power of Bitcoin and blockchain technology and thinks cities need to embrace it. He takes his salary in Bitcoin and sees its potential for decentralized authentication, data management, and transparency mechanisms.
- Miami's Mayor believes crypto will be a major player in the future economy, despite warnings of a speculative bubble. The market has grown exponentially, with NFTs and other innovations on the horizon.
- Vitalik Buterin, founder of Ethereum, created a platform that acts like a fully programmable system, making it more versatile and complex than Bitcoin. Its capabilities as a blockchain are like a nation-state, a court, and even a religion.
- Ethereum is a programmable blockchain platform that allows for the creation of smart contracts, enabling automated and trustless transactions without intermediaries. It has the potential to revolutionize industries like finance, real estate, and legal services.
- Programmable money and blockchain technology offer greater transparency, security, and automation to financial and non-financial processes. Smart contracts and decentralized finance are enabling new business models and disrupting various industries. Expect even more innovation as these technologies evolve.
- While traditional currency is interchangeable, the surge in popularity of N.F.T.s has sparked fascination and skepticism in the blockchain community. Some see potential for public goods, while others question the financial froth surrounding them.
- N.F.T.s offer a new use case for easy tracking of ownership, making them invaluable in markets like concert tickets where underpriced tickets benefit brokers and platforms instead of the artists and fans. As technology develops, N.F.T.s can represent diverse non-fungible assets beyond crypto.
- Non-fungible tokens (N.F.T.s) could bring many benefits to the ticketing industry, such as reducing fraud and ensuring fair prices. However, there are also risks of fraud and counterfeit N.F.T.s that need to be addressed carefully.
- Tom Sachs sees N.F.T.s as a form of sculpture and believes in using cryptocurrency to decentralize commerce and dismantle the classist and racist banking system. It is recommended to have knowledge in computer science or economics before engaging in crypto trading.
- By creating physical components for NFTs, Sachs was able to humanize the experience and create emotional connections with potential buyers. Authentic projects that bridge the gap between the virtual and real worlds can help people form an emotional connection to cryptocurrency.
- The Rocket Factory project showcases the importance of physicality in a virtual age and allows for personal ownership and physical manifestation of N.F.T.s. It has generated millions of dollars in value and offers a unique offering bridging the digital and physical worlds.
- Using blockchain technology, artists and creators can retain more value from their work and build communities. N.F.T. communities show the potential to create a more thoughtful market, but economists must acknowledge existing assumptions to create a more robust market.
- Cryptocurrency and blockchain technology is not a new trend. It's not all garbage, but pursuing education in computer science or economics can make a difference and help identify valuable opportunities in this volatile and challenging market.
- Striving for integrity and doing our best work, we can improve the branding landscape. Collaboration, like Sachs' Frankenrocket, can bring new life to favorite brands. Keep an eye on DeFi and Web3.
📝 Podcast Notes
Miami's Mayor Aims to Make it the Cryptocurrency Capital of America
Francis Suarez, the mayor of Miami, wants to make his city the cryptocurrency capital of America. He believes that Bitcoin and blockchain technology are transformative and will have a generational impact, like the internet and cell phones did. Suarez takes his salary in Bitcoin and thinks that having a President who would want their salary in Bitcoin would signal an understanding and acceptance of the technology. He also recognizes that some people, even his own father who is a mechanical engineer with two graduate degrees from Harvard, find it abstract and difficult to understand. However, Suarez believes that this is a major disruption that cities need to embrace. He understands the ease and intuitiveness of the concept of decentralized authentication, data management, and transparency mechanism offered by blockchain technology.
Crypto's Future Dominance and Ongoing Evolution
Miami Mayor Francis Suarez predicts that crypto technologies will dominate 80-90 percent of the total economy in the future, citing the fact that every company is now a tech company. Although some experts warn that we may be in the midst of a massive speculative bubble, the crypto market has exploded in 2021 with total transaction volume growing by more than 550 percent, reaching a value of $15.8 trillion. While there has been recent turmoil in the markets, including the collapse of Terra, a South Korean stablecoin, the crypto ecosystem continues to evolve and diversify. Non-fungible tokens (NFTs) have surged in popularity and while there may be a lot of garbage for sale, there is also considerable glory, with programmable money and other innovations on the horizon.
Vitalik Buterin and the Versatility of Ethereum
Vitalik Buterin, a founder of Ethereum, is a key figure in the cryptoeconomy whose platform is the second-most valuable blockchain in the world. He describes blockchains as having properties of nation-states, courts, and even religions, making him not just a crypto inventor but a central banker, a king, a judge, and a priest. Buterin created Ethereum as a response to frustration with the limited capabilities of projects like Mastercoin. Ethereum-style blockchains are like smartphones, allowing for the development of a fully programmable system that can facilitate innovation without changing the underlying infrastructure. The upsides and downsides of such a system will take years to play out, but for now, the Ethereum platform has proven itself to be more versatile and complex than Bitcoin.
Ethereum: The Versatile Blockchain Platform with Limitless Possibilities
Ethereum is a blockchain computer that allows developers to build different kinds of applications using smart contracts. Unlike Bitcoin, Ethereum can be programmed, making it a versatile platform for various industries. Vitalik Buterin, the creator of Ethereum, recognized the potential of blockchain technology beyond digital currency and built a platform that allows for limitless possibilities. The use of smart contracts in Ethereum has the potential to revolutionize industries such as finance, real estate, and legal services, enabling automated, trustless transactions without the need for intermediaries. Ethereum's versatility makes it a highly sought-after platform by developers and investors alike.
How Programmable Money and Blockchain Technology are Changing the Game
Programmable money and blockchain technology offer a new level of transparency, security and automation to financial and non-financial processes. With programmable money, instructions can be set to automatic and conditional, which reduces the need for human intervention and the risk of fraud. Blockchain technology ensures data integrity, immutability and decentralization, which make it a reliable and efficient alternative to traditional record-keeping methods. Smart contracts can automate complex transactions, minimize intermediaries and legal costs, and enable new business models like decentralized autonomous organizations. DeFi and NFTs are just some examples of how decentralized finance and digital assets are changing the traditional financial landscape. As these technologies mature, we can expect to see more innovation and disruption in various industries.
Fungibility vs. Uniqueness: The Popularity and Controversy of N.F.T.s in the Crypto World
The concept of fungibility remains an important aspect when it comes to currency. Unlike N.F.T.s, which are unique tokens, currency like Ether or dollars are interchangeable. However, the hype around N.F.T.s has resulted in a surge in popularity and sales, with some tokens fetching millions of dollars. This has sparked both fascination and skepticism within the blockchain and crypto community. While some believe that N.F.T.s represent purest examples of financial froth and runaway enthusiasm, others like Arianna Simpson from Andreesen Horowitz remain bullish about N.F.T.s and their ability to expand the type of people interested in crypto. The potential for N.F.T.s to be used as a mechanism for public goods is exciting, especially if the proceeds can go towards important social initiatives. Ultimately, the future of N.F.T.s remains to be seen as the market has soured in the past several months.
The Expanding Universe of N.F.T.s and Their Potential in the Ticketing Industry
N.F.T.s have an ever-growing and richer universe of what they can represent beyond just the limited set of things in the mainstream conception. They offer a genuinely new use case that allows for easy tracking of ownership and provenance, making them invaluable in the market for concert tickets and other live events. Most tickets are actually underpriced, but the fervent resale market means profits from the underpriced tickets go to ticket brokers or platforms like StubHub, pricing out the average fan and leaving the artists and teams without benefit. As the technology develops, N.F.T.s can represent a membership pass, a credit score or any non-fungible asset, which will expand the audience beyond crypto nerds. Wave of the first big public N.F.T.s was the biggest wave of new entrants into the space, and not negative and will not be forgotten.
The Potential and Pitfalls of Using N.F.T.s in the Ticketing Industry
Non-fungible tokens (N.F.T.) could revolutionize the ticketing industry by helping curb fraud and keeping ticket prices reasonable. Tickets in a blockchain format would allow the control of the ticket from the moment it's issued until the event, providing even more control to artists and sports teams. N.F.T.s would also reduce fraudulent activity by allowing verification of legitimate tickets on the secondary market. Eric Budish, an economist is provisionally supportive of N.F.T.s as a solution to ticket fraud. However, N.F.T.s have been plagued by fraud within the market itself, including phishing attacks, plagiarism, and 'rug pulls.' OpenSea admits that their tool supporting N.F.T. minting has also been used for fraudulent and counterfeit N.F.T.s.
Tom Sachs Advocates for Meaningful N.F.T. Collection and Crypto for Decentralization
The N.F.T. space is seeing a rise in rug-pull scams, prompting skepticism about the legitimacy of N.F.T.'s. However, artist Tom Sachs is launching a meaningful N.F.T. collection, using the medium as a form of sculpture. Sachs also advocates for the use of cryptocurrency as a means of decentralizing commerce and dismantling the classist and racist banking system. He notes that money is a collective illusion that works because enough people believe in it, and engaging in the N.F.T. space is a way to make it a reality. While crypto trading can be a smart profession, learning computer science or economics is recommended.
The Tom Sachs Rocket Factory project: Bringing Authenticity to Cryptocurrency
While some may view cryptocurrency as a gated community, without emotional connection and only for those who stand to profit most, the Tom Sachs Rocket Factory project exists to bridge the gap between the virtual and real worlds. By creating N.F.T.s that had a physical component, Sachs humanized the experience and made it authentic to the values of his art studio. Through the hand-painted parts, Sachs was able to represent who he is and create emotional connections with potential buyers. The Rocket Factory project shows that while trust and time are necessary for cryptocurrency to gain credibility, projects that authentically bridge the gap between the virtual and real worlds can help people form an emotional connection to the technology.
The Rocket Factory Project: Exploring the Intersection of Digital and Physical Worlds
The Rocket Factory project combines digital assets with a physical component, showcasing the importance of physicality in an age of virtual everything. The project involves a complex process of rocket manufacturing, branding, and launching, with the ability to claim possession of a physical version of the rocket. The project has generated around $50 million in value exchanged via rocket-part N.F.T.s on OpenSea, with 10 percent captured by the Tom Sachs Rocket Factory. The art market's greatest perversions can be seen when artists don't receive a cut when their pieces are resold. The Rocket Factory project bridges the digital and physical worlds with a unique and complex offering that allows for personal ownership and physical manifestation of an N.F.T.
Blockchain-based smart contracts revolutionize creative work
Blockchain-based smart contracts can empower artists and creators to retain more value from their work while also building communities around their creations. The emergence of digital art and N.F.T. communities could not have been sustained under old technology, and the potential for this technology to bring utility to other industries beyond art is immense. While there are misperceptions and misunderstandings around N.F.T.s, the potential to create a more robust and thoughtful market using economics as a profession is significant. However, economists must be willing to step back and acknowledge the imperfections of existing assumptions. Overall, the use of blockchain-based smart contracts has the potential to revolutionize the way we create, share, and value creative work.
The Hype and Reality of Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology
While cryptocurrency and blockchain technology generate a lot of frenzy and attention, it's important to remember that every major wave of technology has done the same, whether it's railroads or steam engines. However, the digital nature of this technology allows us to see under the hood and exposes bad actors and market manipulation. Crypto trading is extremely volatile and challenging, and it's recommended to pursue education in computer science or economics to make a difference through your work. While N.F.T.s and other crypto assets may seem suspect, it's important to remember that not all of the space is garbage and there are valuable opportunities to be found.
Tom Sachs on the Importance of Integrity and Collaboration in Brand Representation and Future Technologies.
Tom Sachs emphasizes the importance of having integrity and doing the best one can do in any field. The space of representing brands and making money is happening with or without us, but we can make it better. In creating a chart of represented brand rockets, Sachs was sad to see some of his favorites fall on the cutting room floor, including Freakonomics Radio. However, he suggested launching a rocket together, leading to the Frankenrocket representing Freakonomics Radio. The future of blockchain and crypto is uncertain, but DeFi is moving quickly and Web3 should not be dismissed too quickly.