🔑 Key Takeaways
- FTX's exponential growth, high profile sponsorships, and sophisticated system design demonstrate the potential of the crypto asset ecosystem, but individuals should conduct their own research before investing.
- While potential earnings from arbitrage in cryptocurrency were high in late 2017, the current market landscape requires careful consideration of fees and data imperfections. Traditional finance still has larger trading volumes and offers more reliable opportunities for making profits.
- Being open to new opportunities and gaining knowledge in both technology and finance can lead to success in cryptocurrency trading and related industries. Resources like CoinMarketCap and positive companies like Jane Street can aid in this journey.
- Alameda Research's success story in the crypto market started with an innovative trade opportunity and their determination to overcome challenges in raising capital.
- By tapping into the transparency and high margin revenue of the crypto industry, FTX saw an opportunity to expand and appeal to a non-existent niche through futures exchange, optimizing their potential in the market.
- Understanding the flaws of a particular market can present an opportunity to innovate and create a better product. Iteration and execution are key to success in a sector that lacks competition and efficiency.
- Crypto exchanges have a clear business model with recurring revenue through transaction fees, providing a pure and efficient market with only three parties involved. Traditional equities trades involve numerous intermediaries with unclear value, making crypto exchanges the focal point of the market.
- FTX strategically prepared for the future of the industry by focusing on innovation, product integration, customer demands, profitability, regulatory compliance, and international markets.
- To succeed in launching a crypto exchange, it is important to take calculated risks and navigate regulatory requirements while finding opportunities in different markets to acquire customers and obtain licenses.
- Success in the cryptocurrency exchange market comes from having a good product and catering to power users' feedback. FTX's growth strategy included owning naming rights, partnering with Alameda for liquidity, and celebrity commercials.
- FTX aims to establish trust in the crypto market by communicating its brand through endorsements and partnerships, in order to gain customers and fill the gap in missing derivatives in the US market. However, building infrastructure of trust is more important for the long-term success of the business.
- FTX's ability to execute well and maintain intentional team management has led to their success. Maintaining this focus while potentially expanding or acquiring new businesses will be crucial to their long-term growth.
- FTX prioritizes transparency and contextual knowledge to update mental models and expand beyond crypto. NordVPN's success as a bootstrapped startup showcases the potential for growth.
- FTX believes in hiring individuals who can adapt to changing situations and remain calm under pressure. Achieving company goals while maintaining regulatory compliance and relationships with regulators is crucial for success.
- Social media has revolutionized the way people invest, consume news, and live their lives. The speed of news and market cycles has increased, and more market participants are trading in traditional markets and cryptocurrency. However, the value of intangible assets like NFTs remains uncertain, and we're still in uncharted territory.
- Reach out to FTX through Sam's Twitter or support ticket for collaboration and information. The Generalist newsletter and Acquired's LP show provide useful Web3 and crypto content for real-time updates and collaborations.
📝 Podcast Summary
FTX: The Rapidly Growing Crypto Exchange with High Leverage on Individual Employees
FTX, the fastest-growing crypto exchange, grew an astonishing 10x by volume in the year 2020 and 10x just in the first half of 2021. FTX is the sponsor of the Miami Heat's basketball arena, FTX Arena; their logo is displayed on every major league baseball umpire's uniform and their commercials are featuring Tom Brady and Gisele. FTX is a company of just 200 employees representing high leverage on individual employees. The workflow and systems design of the sophisticated systems created by Pilot are where finesse is required. The growth of FTX and the crypto assets ecosystem requires continuous analysis, and it is not investment advice; individuals should conduct their own research.
Arbitrage Opportunities in Cryptocurrency Trading
There may be an arbitrage in Bitcoin trading, based on the price difference between major cryptocurrency exchanges, but the fees and data imperfections make it borderline. In late 2017, the arbitrage spread was about 5-10%, as opposed to less than 0.01% today. The potential earnings from arbitrage at that time were estimated to be around $200,000 per day, which was a lot of money. This was compared to traditional finance, where making even one basis point on a trade was considered good. However, the trading volumes in traditional finance were much larger than in cryptocurrency markets. Overall, the key takeaway is that arbitrage opportunities in cryptocurrency may exist, but require careful consideration of fees and data imperfections.
Benefits of Being Open and Knowledgeable in the World of Cryptocurrency
Being open to trying new things can lead to high upside opportunities. Understanding both the core technology and financial assets is essential for making good decisions in the world of cryptocurrency. Having a diverse set of interests and skills can be valuable in various career paths, such as going into politics, becoming a journalist, working at a nonprofit, or exploring startups. The trading industry can have problems, but companies like Jane Street can provide a positive work environment. When considering new assets to list, it's important to have knowledge of both blockchain technology and trading. CoinMarketCap can provide valuable information for those interested in entering the world of cryptocurrency trading.
From Japan Arb to Liquidity Provider - The Journey of Alameda Research in Crypto Market
Alameda Research began as a team of around twenty people, with a mix of friends, acquaintances, and people from the Effective Altruism Community. They discovered a trade opportunity known as the Japan Arb, which involved buying American bitcoins, selling them at a higher price in Japan, and turning the end back into dollars. Although they faced logistical complexities, they managed to turn it on in early 2018 and made about $20 million a day from it. This led to the formation of Alameda Research, where they aimed to provide liquidity in the highly volatile crypto market. They faced challenges in raising capital due to the novelty of the industry, but they were determined to scale up quickly.
FTX's Expansion into Futures Exchange for Crypto Market Optimization.
Starting a futures exchange seemed like a viable option for FTX due to the transparency and high margin revenue of the crypto industry. Exchanges were making billions of dollars a year in revenue by simply matching supply and demand of a purely digital asset with near-zero variable costs. While exchanges in theory were complex, in practice they were not. Additionally, as a quant crypto trading firm, FTX was stuck in an awkward in-between of being considered both high and low risk. By expanding into exchanges, FTX was able to optimize their opportunity in the crypto market and appeal to a non-existent niche.
Creating a Better Futures Exchange
In the early days of the futures market, exchanges like Gox were inefficient and failing to properly liquidate leveraged positions, leading to huge losses for customers. However, despite these flaws, these exchanges were still making significant profits. Alameda believed that they could do better and create a more robust futures exchange, which led to the creation of FTX. The lack of competition and inefficient practices in the futures market made it an attractive opportunity for Alameda. By deeply understanding the products and iterating on them, FTX was able to create a more powerful and successful exchange. This highlights the importance of having a solid and well-executed product in a sector that is not being done well.
The Simplified System of Crypto Exchanges and their Dominance in the Market
Crypto exchanges operate on a more simplified system than traditional financial ecosystems, with only a buyer, seller, and exchange involved in each transaction. This makes crypto exchanges the focal point and the most important piece of the infrastructure, creating a pure and efficient market. In contrast, traditional equities trades involve a large number of intermediaries, and it's not clear which ones provide significant value. The rise of decentralized exchanges is a relatively new development in the crypto industry, but traditional exchanges still dominate and continue to attract significant investment from major firms. Crypto exchanges have a more legible business model with a clear example of recurring revenue through transaction fees on the volume of trades.
FTX's Long-term Vision for Infrastructure and Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Industry
FTX was intentional about building a company with long-term plans to become a key piece of infrastructure in the next paradigm. They focused on understanding where the industry could be going and what they could do to prepare for it. FTX innovated and explored other product areas to integrate them into their system. They were intentional about building a product that met the demands of their built-in customers and addressed the industry's biggest problem of lower profits. FTX will engage with regulators in a productive way to address compliance issues. They realized that international markets are the addressable opportunity for now and structured the company accordingly.
Balancing Risk and Innovation in Launching a Crypto Exchange
In life, everything is a risk-reward calculation and to make progress, we need to take calculated risks as we can never have zero risk. By making judgment calls and accepting the associated risks while doing our best to uphold the regulatory requirements, we can innovate and push new products forward. Threading the needle between compliance and functionality is crucial for launching a successful company. Starting elsewhere apart from the US was a good decision for the company as the regulatory regime in the US takes longer to launch products thus, providing limited opportunities. Launching from Hong Kong and now having a base in the Bahamas, the company has focused on acquiring customers and obtaining licenses in various places to become a functional crypto exchange.
FTX's Growth Strategy as a Cryptocurrency Exchange
Having a good product is the key to success in the transparent and objective market of cryptocurrency exchanges. FTX's initial growth came from reaching out to the power users who were deeply invested in the ecosystem and iterating based on their feedback. Sam's experience as a power user himself gave him authenticity and helped convince others to think about using FTX. The company's growth strategy also included owning naming rights to arenas, patches on umpires, and celebrity commercials. By starting with liquidity from sister company Alameda, FTX was able to attract traders and institutions without having to rely on traditional marketing methods. Today, FTX is the third biggest cryptocurrency exchange by volume and the second biggest by open interest.
FTX's strategy to expand the crypto market through trust-building and partnerships with institutions.
FTX is focused on building trust and expanding the market through the launch of sophisticated derivatives and partnerships with institutional counterparties. Their strategy is to communicate who they are and their brand in a compelling way to gain customers and surpass the missing derivatives segment in the US market. Although endorsements and partnerships may not be the most effective way to acquire customers, they are essential in establishing their brand and building trust in the crypto market, which is a battle especially important in the US. FTX believes that laying the infrastructure of trust is more important than acquiring customers if they want to play the long game.
FTX's Keys to Success - Flawless Execution and Team Management
FTX's success can be attributed to their flawless execution and good team management. Their ability to execute well has allowed them to build volume quickly in a market that was early on, resulting in natural scale and network economies. While there are opportunities for FTX to build additional products and services beyond their current exchange business, one of the keys to their long-term success will be maintaining good execution and intentional team management. They also recognize the importance of not overgrowing the team, as this can lead to monstrosity that no one can control effectively. Acquisitions may also be a growth strategy, as demonstrated by the transformative pickup of Blockfolio for their US business.
FTX and SPF aim to expand and evangelize their knowledge beyond the crypto domain. Transparency and contextual knowledge are prioritized to gain greater trust.
FTX strives to expand beyond the crypto domain they already dominate and explore new avenues while keeping the ultimate upside in mind. They prioritize transparency and contextual knowledge, giving all relevant data to their employees and the public for greater trust and to update mental models. FTX and SPF aim to build a movement and evangelize their knowledge, no longer keeping secrets in this domain that is widely accessible through many channels. This Lithuanian startup, NordVPN, is an example of an entirely bootstrapped startup that aimed for success and now boasts over 15 million users, serving as another case of a startup that went from zero to hero.
FTX prioritizes flexibility and commitment over experience in hiring process
FTX's hiring process prioritizes people comfortable with limited changing information and that are happy to commit to some path, rather than hiring based on experience. They believe that flexibility and the ability to stay cool under pressure are key attributes to have in their team. FTX will judge themselves based on metrics such as becoming the biggest crypto exchange, penetrating the retail market, expanding beyond crypto, and regulatory compliance. The company acknowledges that there are metrics they don't know yet which will become important in the future. In order to achieve an A-plus outcome, FTX must achieve these goals and maintain good relationships with regulators, among other things.
The Impact of Social Media on Investments and Markets
The defining property of today's era is social media, which has brought about significant changes including the way people invest, consume news, and live their lives. News cycles are faster due to tweet cycles, which is influencing the speed of market cycles and making them faster too. The social media era has led to an increase in market participants in markets that matter, creating value by trading in traditional markets and cryptocurrency. The total value being created in the world is potentially accelerating, but questions arise about the market to market values of intangible assets like NFTs. Overall, it's hard to anticipate where this era will end, and we're still making it up as we go along.
Ways to Collaborate and Connect with FTX and Web3 Community
The best ways to get in touch with FTX are through Sam's Twitter, filing a support ticket on ftx.com or ftx.us. This episode also proves that filing a support ticket can actually lead to fruitful conversations and even collaborations. Additionally, The Generalist, a newsletter by Mario, is a great resource for Web3 and crypto related content. This new era is being chronicled in real-time through newsletters and social media, making it easier to be a part of the movement and collaborate with others. Finally, there are plenty of other informative episodes on Web3 and crypto available on Acquired's LP show, which can be found on any podcast player or through the link in the show notes.