🔑 Key Takeaways
- Lower exposure to heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium, and thulium which can harm multiple systems in the body. Use chelating agents with food to slowly remove them from the body. Doctors should include heavy metals testing in their diagnosis and treatment plans.
- Heavy metal exposure can cause a range of health issues, but removing lead from the body can improve overall health. Glutathione is a useful supplement for removing heavy metals and consulting with a functional medicine doctor can help diagnose and treat heavy metal toxicity.
- Mindful detoxification, upregulating mitochondria, and reducing inflammation play a crucial role in healthy aging. Zinc, cilantro, modified citrus pectin, and ozone therapy can aid in detoxification and revitalization, but caution should be exercised with nicotine and ozone therapy.
- Ozone therapy has the potential to improve immune system, brain function, energy levels and stem cell production. While there is limited scientific evidence, it has shown promise in treating various health issues and can transform lives, especially for those with chronic illnesses or fatigue. It's important to receive treatment from a certified practitioner and follow proper protocols.
- Lyme disease can trigger mast cell activation syndrome, presenting as histamine intolerance, fatigue, and brain fog. Testing for T-cell, eli spot or low histamine diets with natural antihistamines and antibiotics can manage symptoms and prevent chronic diseases.
- Functional medicine seeks to identify the root cause of diseases by addressing nutrient deficiencies and removing harmful factors such as foods and drugs. Proper nutrients are essential for breaking down histamine, a common cause of many disorders.
- Toxins like mercury damage our energy factories (mitochondria) and cause fatigue, autoimmune disease, etc. Functional medicine helps remove toxins. Repairing mitochondria through supplements like NAD and mTOR can boost health and lifespan.
📝 Podcast Summary
Heavy Metals: The Underappreciated Cause of Chronic Diseases
Heavy metals such as mercury, lead, cadmium, and thulium can harm multiple systems in the body, inhibit mitochondrial function, lower testosterone, cause hair loss, graying, cancer, and other diseases. It is important to lower exposure to these metals and detoxify from them. One can use chelating agents with food to slowly remove them from the body. A heavy metals test, such as a urine test or a hair test, can help measure the body burden. Heavy metals are an underappreciated and ignored cause of chronic disease that doctors should include in their diagnosis and treatment plans. Dr. Hyman's personal experience with mercury poisoning highlights the importance of addressing heavy metals in healthcare.
Heavy Metal Toxicity: A Real Concern for Certain Industries and Special Forces Soldiers
Heavy metal toxicity is a real concern, especially for those working in industries that involve being exposed to them. Even highly trained special forces soldiers were suffering from it. Heavy metals can cause a range of symptoms from gut issues, fatigue, and cognitive impairment to autoimmune diseases. The safe EPA limits for lead have been sharply reduced over time to almost zero, and there is no safe limit for lead in the body. Removing lead from the body can improve overall health and increase life expectancy. Glutathione is a good supplement to remove heavy metals from the body. Functional medicine doctors can help diagnose heavy metal toxicity.
Techniques for Healthy Aging and Longevity
To age healthily and live longer, it's essential to learn how to detoxify, up regulate mitochondria, and cool off inflammation. Accumulation of metals and various infections can cause severe health issues, and being mindful of mitigation techniques can be helpful. Zinc helps in natural detoxification, and cilantro and modified citrus pectin can remove heavy metals. Upregulating mitochondria can be done using ozone therapy that can be taken intravenously, rectally, and vaginally, but being mindful not to breathe it. With profound anti-aging and antimicrobial effects, it's essential to be conscious of how little quantities of nicotine can improve cognitive function, but overdoing it can be harmful. Lastly, occasional routine ozone therapy can lower bacterial load in the body and revitalize cells.
The Benefits and Potential of Ozone Therapy
Ozone therapy can be a game-changer for those suffering from toxic mold exposure, infections, and other health issues. It can restore brain function, improve immune system, boost energy, and trigger the body's antioxidant and stem cell production. It is cheap, safe, and effective. While there is not enough scientific evidence, many countries have been using it for years, and it has shown promise in treating a range of health problems. It is important to learn how to use it from a certified practitioner and follow the right protocols. Ozone therapy has the potential to transform people's lives and health, especially those struggling with aging, chronic illnesses, or fatigue.
Lyme Disease and Mast Cell Activation Syndrome
Lyme disease can often be the cause of mast cell activation syndrome, which presents with symptoms like histamine intolerance, fatigue, and brain fog. It is a tricky condition that often masquerades as other diseases. Lyme bacteria hide in connective tissues in the body, which can activate mast cells, the first line of defense against infectious agents. Conventional lab testing for Lyme disease is not always helpful, and specialized testing like the T-cell, eli spot test can be more useful. Treatment for Lyme disease involves supplements like quercetin and nettles as natural antihistamines, low histamine diets, and antibiotics. Patients with fibromyalgia, Parkinson's symptoms, brain fog, and rheumatoid arthritis should be tested for Lyme disease.
Functional Medicine Approach to Treating Histamine Intolerance
Functional medicine focuses on identifying the root cause of diseases, as one disease can have many causes. In the case of histamine intolerance, many foods, drugs, and nutritional deficiencies can interfere with the DAO enzyme, which breaks down histamine. Nutrients such as vitamin B6, vitamin C, copper, magnesium, manganese, zinc, calcium, B1, B12, and folic acid are critical for breaking down histamine. Deficiencies in nutrients are very common, even in relatively affluent populations. Functional medicine aims to take out the bad stuff, which can be foods or drugs, and add the right foods and nutrients to address the root cause of the disease. This approach helped Mark Hyman to recover from chronic fatigue, which had multiple layers of causes and required addressing heavy metal toxicity and digestive issues.
Repairing Mitochondria through Functional Medicine for Better Health and Longevity
Toxins like mercury damage mitochondria, which are the energy factories in our body. This damage can lead to symptoms like fatigue, cognitive impairment, autoimmune disease, and more. Functional medicine is good at safely removing heavy metals and toxins from the body. Chronic illnesses like Lyme disease and mold exposure can also drain your energy. Aging is largely controlled by the mitochondria, so repairing and healing these energy systems in our body can help us live longer and healthier lives. Taking supplements like NAD and working on mTOR can help in this regard. By experimenting and pushing the envelope, we can aim to become stronger, bigger, faster and better, like Superman.