🔑 Key Takeaways
- Prioritizing the creative process over end results can create a happier and more fulfilled creative community. Democratization of tools enhances participation, leading to joy, and meaning.
- HitRecord provides a platform for anyone to create and collaborate on projects, with a focus on building a positive and meaningful experience. Its new platform, Class Projects, teaches creative skills by doing, emphasizing the joy and meaning of the creative process itself.
- HitRecord's interactive user experience and community core values, like kindness and self-regulation, help artists collaborate and find joy and fulfillment in their craft on a platform that encourages learning by doing and resists the pressure to become famous.
- While democratization in media has led to more niche and creative content, dominant platforms are mass surveillance advertising machines with unhealthy incentives. Podcasts and in-depth content benefit mental health, and the rise of big tech companies blurs the line between independent and professional entertainment industries. Artists may seek more independent relationships with their audiences.
- HitRecord started as a small platform for personal creations but evolved into a community-driven collaboration platform. It focuses on making collaboration easier with simple tools and bringing people from diverse backgrounds together to create amazing things.
- By utilizing technology and supportive communities, artists can overcome their inner demons and make a positive impact in the world. Embrace new tools and channels of distribution to create innovative and meaningful content.
- The cinema industry will continue to evolve with experimentation and innovation, but the essence of coming together for shared storytelling experience will remain. Startups can offer learning and growth opportunities for those outside the industry.
📝 Podcast Summary
Shifting the Focus from Finished Product to Joy of Creative Process in the Creator Economy.
The creator economy is too focused on the finished product rather than the creative process itself. Joseph Gordon-Levitt highlights that the joy and meaning comes from the creative process, and businesses should prioritize providing that experience. The democratization of creative tools allows people to participate in the creative process, which can bring a lot of joy and happiness. The emphasis on the finished content can be anxiety-inducing, leading to addiction to attention economy platforms. By shifting the emphasis to the joy of the creative process itself, businesses and creators can create a happier and more fulfilled creative community.
HitRecord - a platform for collaborative and joyful creativity
HitRecord is an online community and production company that provides a platform for people to create and collaborate on projects. While HitRecord still involves selecting people for certain projects, it also focuses on building a positive and meaningful experience for anyone who wants to participate, including those who may not have the skills to contribute to a specific product. HitRecord has recently launched a new part of its platform called Class Projects, which teaches creative skills by doing. The emphasis is on the joy and meaning that comes from the creative process itself, not on becoming a star. HitRecord believes that creating for the sake of creating is what makes the creative journey fulfilling.
Embracing the Love of Art and Collaboration on HitRecord
Creative culture and platforms should encourage people to engage in art because they love it and find it satisfying, rather than just to become famous. HitRecord, a creative online platform, has over a million users and offers a unique interactive user experience that encourages learning by doing. The company's slow growth and genuine community are part of its success, and community core values like kindness and self-regulation help create a positive environment for artists to collaborate. While social media has changed the entertainment industry in many ways, focusing on the love of art and collaboration can help people resist the pressure to become famous and focus on finding joy and fulfillment in their craft.
The Pros and Cons of Democratization in Media
The democratization of media has allowed for more niche and creative content to find an audience, but the downside is dominant platforms are mass surveillance advertising machines creating unhealthy incentives. Many young creators are already thinking about likes and follows instead of their intrinsic motivation, which can be poisonous and anxiety-inducing. Podcasts and slower-paced, in-depth content provide better mental health benefits than fast-paced, newsfeed-style content. The rise of big tech companies as buyers and distribution channels has blurred the line between independent and professional entertainment industries. Artists may be heading towards a more independent future where they form their own relationships with their audiences, creatively and financially.
Creating Collaborative Creativity with HitRecord
HitRecord started as a platform for Joseph to put his little creations out there and share them with the world, and slowly turned into a platform for collaborative creativity. With HitRecord, people from different parts of the world who may have never met can collaborate and create things together. HitRecord started as a production company but later realized that building a platform around the community collaboration aspect was more important. HitRecord does not plan on building native video or audio editing tools as there are already such great ones in the market, but instead will focus on building simple yet helpful tools to make collaboration easier.
Using Creative Tools and Communities to Overcome Insecurities in Artistic Expression.
Creative tools like the voice acting prompt built in the HitRecord app can encourage people to contribute more easily, especially within a supportive community. Overcoming the inner demons that tell us we're not good enough to create is a universal challenge for all artists. TV is becoming a safer place for new and innovative content because these non-mainstream movies rarely reach the mainstream audience due to a lack of availability. The channels of distribution are now wider and more accessible. As culture evolves with technology, it's up to us to choose how to utilize these new tools to make positive impacts in our world. We shouldn't accept the negative impacts as inevitable, but instead focus on using technology for good.
The Future of Cinema and Opportunities for Startup Community
The cinema industry may evolve to become like the theater industry with experimentation and innovation on a limited scale. However, humans will still want to gather and experience storytelling together in a social setting. There may be innovations involving augmented or mixed reality, but the basic concept of coming together for a shared experience will remain. It will be interesting to see how the cinema industry evolves in the next few decades, but it is unlikely to remain the same as it has been for the last 100 years. The startup community, like the Silicon Valley community, can offer opportunities for learning and growth to those outside of the industry.