🔑 Key Takeaways
- Embrace your authentic self, believe in yourself, and let others know that you are enough, regardless of what society may tell you.
- Practice self-esteem and self-compassion regularly as you would any daily routine. When feeling invincible, others' disapprovals won't matter. Be aware of how people respond to you and remember to stand up for yourself and others.
- Reflect on past experiences, be patient with yourself, seek support, and address the root cause of self-doubt to consistently improve self-esteem and achieve greater things.
- Identify the tools and trusted people around us, practice positive self-talk, and seek supportive individuals who can love and encourage us publicly. Set boundaries and communicate our needs when deciphering coaching from loved ones, addressing trust issues individually.
- Despite what others might say, it's important to speak up for yourself and understand why certain critiques affect you. Celebrate your unique qualities and share them with the world.
- Don't let society's expectations dictate your happiness. Make a conscious choice to prioritize your own happiness and define your own life and relationships without worrying about external pressures.
- Choose happiness and avoid stress, overwhelm, and sadness. Practice gratitude and perspective to shift away from negative emotions. Acknowledge difficulties but redefine happiness in challenging moments. Keep redefining what happiness looks like in your current situation.
- Practicing gratitude, understanding others' struggles, and being introspective can help us create harmony in our relationships and become better human beings.
- Open and honest communication about emotional and mental needs is crucial for building a healthy relationship. Regularly revisiting these conversations can strengthen existing relationships and prevent misunderstandings.
- Have open conversations about finances, priorities, and personal missions early on in a relationship. Both partners should prioritize their own growth and support each other's purpose to create a healthy and flourishing relationship.
- Being honest and communicative about values, vision, and lifestyle early on in a relationship and prioritizing personal healing and values can lead to a healthy and aligned partnership. Exercises and therapy can aid in creating strong agreements and alignment for a long-lasting and fulfilling relationship.
- 'Letting People In' instead of 'Coming Out' empowers individuals to choose who they allow in their life and promotes a culture of inclusivity and respect. Understanding and supporting each other's experiences and not labeling or judging one another is crucial.
- Your story is powerful, and it's important to love and accept all parts of it. Don't wait for others to accept you; instead, empower yourself by setting boundaries, asking questions, and only letting in those who can understand and appreciate your journey.
- Taking control of one's self-journey and decision-making is crucial, and reframing language can assist in empowering this process. Small business owners must embrace appropriate tools, while acknowledging personal empowerment is vital before sharing with others.
- Respect yourself first and surround yourself with those who love and support you. Respect others even if you disagree with them. Remember that everyone deserves love and respect as human beings.
- Treating others with respect, practicing happiness, and challenging oneself to be better can positively impact both oneself and the community, leading to better choices and a more inclusive society.
- Believe in your power to change your life, create meaningful connections, and smash generational trauma. Practice daily and show up as your authentic self to chart a path to greatness.
📝 Podcast Summary
Karamo Brown's journey towards self-acceptance
Karamo Brown grew up in a Christian and immigrant household and faced identity crisis as he identified himself as gay. He felt inauthentic from ages five to 23 and tried to make people like him, as his Authentic self was not cool enough for people. He faced racist behavior from teachers and was given nicknames. However, he found inspiration from hip-hop culture in the early two thousands, which helped him gain confidence in himself and his identity. Karamo believes that it is essential to fight against those who think that some part of their Authentic version is not enough. It is their job to practice behavior so that they believe in themselves and to let others know that their Authentic self is enough.
Karamo Brown on the Power of Self-Esteem and Self-Love
Karamo Brown shares that he was inspired by hip-hop music and how it made him feel invincible. He learned that when he felt invincible, other people's words and disapprovals didn't matter. He listened more and talked less, which made him keenly aware of people's responses to him. He cringed remembering the moments where he didn't stand up for himself or others. However, he practiced patience and grace with himself and constantly practiced self-esteem. He understands the importance of self-love and self-compassion, which he rated himself a nine and a half out of ten. Brown believes that growth is always great, and we should practice our self-esteem the same way we get up in the morning and walk into the mirror.
The Power of Positive Self-talk and Healing Self-doubt
Practicing positive self-talk consistently can help improve one's self-esteem. It's important to reflect and identify the root cause of self-doubt, which could have originated from our past experiences, particularly from our home life. It's necessary to be patient with ourselves during this process and seek support from trusted individuals who can provide tools for healing, such as books or therapy. Affirmations may not always work as they could be temporary fixes, and it's essential to identify and address the underlying issue. By consistently practicing and improving our self-esteem, we can better believe in ourselves and achieve greater things.
Finding Tools and Trusted People to Navigate Conflicting Messages in Life
To deal with conflicting messages, it is important to find tools and trusted people who can help identify and clarify the messages. The first step towards this is to identify the tools and trusted people around us. One easy practice that can be incorporated is to wake up and say something nice to ourselves and find one thing about ourselves that we love. It is also important to have people in our lives who can love us louder and publicly when we feel down and inadequate. However, deciphering coaching from loved ones can be difficult, especially with trust issues. It is essential to set boundaries and communicate the things we need to hear and deal with trust issues on an individual basis.
Managing the Impact of Other People's Opinions
Managing the importance of other people's opinions has been Karamo Brown's biggest challenge in the past 20 years, both personally and professionally. Despite hearing that people's opinions don't matter, comments and critiques can still affect one's mental state, especially in the entertainment industry where one's body and appearance is often scrutinized. It took time for Karamo to learn how to be louder than other people's comments and speak up for himself. He also does the work to figure out why certain words or critiques bother him so much. Karamo used to be challenged about his blackness, but he now celebrates his love and shares it with the world.
Prioritizing Your Own Happiness Despite Expectations
It can be hard for people with different identities to live up to those expectations, but it's important to prioritize one's own happiness and not let other's opinions or comments dictate it. It's important to make a conscious choice to be happy and not worry about the opinions of others. Karamo Brown explains that he used to sabotage his relationships because people didn't approve of his choices, but he learned to prioritize his happiness and not live up to society's expectations. He also encourages the media to highlight more diverse relationships to help others feel seen and heard. Ultimately, it's important to define one's own life and love who one loves without worrying about external pressures.
The Daily Practice of Choosing Happiness
Choosing happiness is a daily practice. If you don't choose happiness, the world will choose something else for you, such as stress, being overwhelmed or sadness. By practicing choosing happiness, you can walk away from things that affect you and shift into gratitude and perspective in challenging moments. It's important to acknowledge the chaos and difficulties in life, but also realize that you have the power to choose happiness. Redefine happiness in your darkest moments. For example, acknowledging that you are still learning and taking steps towards it can make you happier. Keep redefining what happiness looks like in your current situation.
Redefining happiness and creating peace in relationships through empathy and introspection.
Redefining happiness is important wherever you are in life and practicing gratitude can help recognize it. Children can be great mirrors to help us be introspective and empathetic towards others. Most people struggle in intimacy because they don't have good models to follow. Models we are given, like in fairy tales, can be toxic and unrealistic. It is important to create harmony and peace in relationships by being introspective and empathetic towards each other. We need to understand that everyone is going through their own stuff and we should have patience and not have unrealistic expectations. By being better towards our loved ones and the world around us, we become better human beings.
The Importance of Communicating Relationship Needs
Having open and honest communication from the very beginning of a relationship is important. Each person should express the five things that they need to have a healthy relationship. This includes their emotional and mental needs, such as communication, sensitivity, adventure, sensuality and vulnerability. It's important to have an understanding of what these things mean for each person. People also need to recognize that these needs may change over time and revisiting the conversation periodically is crucial. By having these conversations, people can create a foundation for a healthy relationship and avoid misunderstandings. It's never too late to go back to the basics and have these conversations in order to strengthen an existing relationship.
Importance of Financial Conversations in Relationships
It is important for partners in a relationship to have conversations about financial stability, priorities, and personal missions early on. While it may be uncomfortable at first, it sets the foundation for a healthy relationship where both partners support and elevate each other's individual growth. Being in a committed relationship does not mean that one person has to be the other's number one priority. Each individual should prioritize their own physical, emotional, and spiritual health, as well as their mission in life. When both partners are in alignment with each other's priorities and support each other's growth and purpose, the relationship can flourish and both partners can feel like a top priority in the world.
The Importance of Honesty, Open Communication, and Alignment in Relationships
Having honest and direct conversations about values, shared vision, and shared lifestyle early on in a relationship can set a strong foundation for peace and harmony. When partners prioritize their own healing journey and communicate openly about it, they can create a healthy and aligned relationship. Doing exercises together, such as writing down one's values and sharing them, can reveal whether partners have real alignment or not, which is crucial for a long-lasting and happy relationship. Couples therapy can also be beneficial as a tool for communication and creating agreements. Prioritizing one's personal health and values in a relationship and having open communication can ultimately bring more peace and energy to one's life.
The Problem with the 'Coming Out' Movement and a Solution
The act of 'coming out' should be replaced with 'letting people in' as it puts the power to accept or deny a person in someone else's hands. Letting people in empowers an individual to choose who they allow in their life and protect themselves. This conversation can be difficult but it's important to align values, such as the importance of family, for a healthy relationship. Shame and fear of societal judgment affects our ability to let people in. It's crucial to understand and support each other's experiences and not to label or judge one another. Promoting the act of 'letting people in' instead of 'coming out' can inspire a culture of inclusivity and respect.
Empower Yourself by Embracing Your Story
Empower yourself first by understanding that all parts of your story are powerful. Practice understanding that before letting people in. Your story is a journey and it’s important to love every part of it. You have the discernment and understanding of what's best for you. Remember that there is no part of your story that is wrong. Empower yourself before waiting for others to accept you. It’s okay to not let certain people in because it says more about them than you. Some people might not have the maturity or language to understand your story. Practice setting the context and asking questions before letting people in, especially if you’re afraid of not being accepted.
Empowerment and Reframing Language in Decision-Making, Small Business Tools, and Empowerment through Self-Discovery.
Empowerment and self-journey are vital in decision-making for oneself, and reframing language can aid in that process. People should let others into their lives regarding their sexual orientation and gender identity only when they are ready. No one has the power to disempower anyone, and negative reactions say everything about the other person and nothing about the individual. Additionally, it is essential to acknowledge that running a small business is hard and thus require the use of appropriate tools like Clover and Merchant One. Las Vegas offers adventure, entertainment, exquisite dining, and once-in-a-lifetime experiences. People should take time and feel empowered by themselves before sharing with others.
Loving Yourself and Finding the Right People
It is important to love and respect oneself first and foremost, focusing on personal growth and empowerment. When letting people into our lives and homes, it is crucial to remember that not everyone will be a good fit, and that's okay. Instead, we should focus on finding and surrounding ourselves with people who love and trust us, and who want to enjoy the beauty of our true selves. Respect is a key factor in any relationship, and we should aim to respect others even if we don't agree with their beliefs or choices. We should also remember that everyone deserves respect and love, and that we can reconcile our respect for others by putting ourselves in their shoes and remembering a time when we needed someone to simply respect us as human beings.
Creating a better world through respect and happiness
Treating others with respect and empathy can go a long way in creating a more accepting and loving society. By remembering how it feels to not be respected and treating others the way we want to be treated, we can create a world that is more inclusive. Karamo Brown emphasizes the importance of practicing happiness and challenging oneself to be better, as it can have a positive impact on not only oneself but also the community around them. These small actions can lead to better choices, affecting the way we vote and treat each other in everyday situations. By finding our own tools and community, we can start to believe in ourselves and create a better environment for everyone.
Karamo Brown's Three Truths for a Powerful Life
Karamo Brown's three truths to leave behind are that you are more powerful than you think, you have the power to change your life, and there is a lot of power in connection. He also believes that generational trauma can be broken by someone and that practicing every day is the key to achieving greatness. Brown's authenticity and commitment to being on a healing journey are admirable qualities that have helped him become a successful leader, coach, guide, and mentor. He encourages others to share their biggest takeaways and acknowledges the importance of showing up true to oneself while being empowered. Karamo Brown's perspective on life is impactful and provides an excellent reminder that we can all break generational cycles and become our own version of greatness.