🔑 Key Takeaways
- Apple Podcasts now allows access to explicit content in India, while the history of Kashmir is marked by centuries of conflict between different cultures and religions.
- The situation in Kashmir is complicated and dangerous, with thousands of deaths and widespread violence. There is little hope for a peaceful resolution, and innocent civilians are frequently targeted.
- Technology is being used as a modern tool of warfare, as Indian hackers target Pakistani government websites in response to terrorist attacks in contested territory of Kashmir.
- Cybersecurity professionals can unite for a cause and use their skills to make a statement against a government's inaction they don't agree with.
- Persistent individuals, even with small means, can have a great impact in the cyber world. Hackers' actions have consequences and can turn into serious matters, as seen in the India-Pakistan cyber attack.
- The conflict between India and Pakistan over Kashmir has taken a dangerous turn, with the use of military force and cyber-attacks. Civilians living near the border are facing constant threats of violence.
- The Kashmir conflict is a multi-faceted issue involving violence, strong opinions, and technology as a tool. The situation highlights how mistreatment and violence can escalate, and the dangerous implications of technology in conflicts.
- The tension between India and Pakistan has resulted in cyber attacks. This conflict has raised concerns about how physical conflicts can amplify to the virtual world.
- The prolonged curfew and lack of communication in Kashmir highlights the need for peaceful and diplomatic approaches to conflicts, prioritizing the well-being of people over political interests.
📝 Podcast Summary
Ban on Explicit Content in India and the Complex History of Kashmir
The ban on explicit content in India extended to podcasts and led to the ban of Darknet Diaries and many others; however, Apple Podcasts has recently changed this, allowing listeners to access explicit content by changing their settings. The story then shifts to the Kashmir region, which, due to its location between India, Pakistan, and China, has a mix of cultures and influences. Its history goes back thousands of years and has seen the region ruled by Muslims, Hindus, and the British. The region has been the site of conflict since India and Pakistan gained independence, with marauders from the Muslim side of Kashmir attacking the Hindu side and leading to bloody battles with the Indian army.
The Ongoing Conflict in Kashmir: A Complicated Issue with Multiple Players Involved
The conflict between India, Pakistan, and Kashmir has been ongoing for over four decades, resulting in thousands of deaths and widespread violence. It is a complicated issue with multiple players involved, including China, and Kashmir itself seeking independence from both India and Pakistan. The area is the most militarized in the world, with over 600,000 Indian troops stationed there. Despite efforts towards ceasefire, tensions remain high and violence continues, frequently resulting in the targeting of innocent civilians. The situation in Kashmir is one of constant danger and suffering, with little hope for a peaceful resolution in the near future.
Indian Hackers Respond to Terrorism in Kashmir Conflict
The region of Kashmir is contested territory with India, Pakistan and local governance. In 2019, a terrorist attack claimed by Jaish-e-Mohammed killed 40 Indian soldiers. India urged Pakistan to condemn and arrest them but no action was taken, anguishing the people of India. Indian hacker community responded by attacking Pakistani government websites to send a message to the government that they will not tolerate such attacks again. The attack was not against people but against the government and their involvement in terrorism. The modern era has a new domain of warfare where IT people can take action.
Pakistani Government Websites Targeted by Hackers
After a terrorist attack in Pakistan, hackers began attacking Pakistani government websites. They rallied together in chat rooms and online to find targets and work together to take them down. They defaced the websites with messages to show that they were hacked by Indian hackers or to remember the terrorist attack. Jack witnessed the cyber-conflict and realized that most of these hackers were normal people who wanted to make a statement against terrorism and the government who was supporting it. They were frustrated with the government's inaction, which led them to hack. These hackers were not malicious or illegal hackers, but cyber-security people who wanted to contribute to the cause. The incident shows how hackers can unite to make a statement against a government they don't agree with.
The Power of Small Hacks and the Cyber Attack Between India and Pakistan
During the cyber attack between India and Pakistan, even small hacks gave hackers a feeling of victory. Although many people in India supported the hackers, others condemned them as it was starting to get serious; for instance, after the hackers defaced Pakistani websites, they started to try and access their SCADA systems. This situation shows that even small people can do something big if they are persistent enough. Hackers rigged Google's algorithm to show the Pakistani flag and Imran Khan's image when someone searched for the best toilet paper in the world; this shows how powerful hackers can be. Lastly, all the hacking came to a halt about a week after the suicide bombing.
The Dangerous Kashmir Conflict and its Impact on Civilians
India and Pakistan's conflict over Kashmir led to the Indian military conducting an airstrike in Pakistan on an alleged camp, resulting in denial from Pakistan over reports of casualties. The combination of cyber-attacks and missile strikes aimed at Pakistan conveyed India's discontentment. While the story mainly focuses on India's and Pakistan's perspective, the violence is affecting people living near the border where there is always a looming threat of violence. The conflict has taken a dangerous turn with India and Pakistan's control over parts of Kashmir and regular firing from both sides.
The Complexities of the Kashmir Conflict: Violence, Opinions, and Technology in the Mix
The situation in Kashmir is complicated, with violence, strong opinions from multiple factions and countries, and the possibility of a proxy war. The terrorist who blew up a van of Indian soldiers was from the Indian-controlled side of Kashmir and was fueled by mistreatment from Indian troops. The hacking of government websites has been going back and forth between Pakistan and India for a decade. Many websites, including The New York Times, CNBC, and The Guardian, have reported on the tit-for-tat hacking. The situation in Kashmir shows how violence and mistreatment can escalate to extreme actions, and also highlights how technology can be used as a tool in conflicts.
Cyber Conflict between India and Pakistan
Tensions between India and Pakistan have led to numerous cyber attacks against each other's websites, including attacks on government and military websites as well as attacks on domain registries. Hackers from both countries have been involved in these attacks, which have included phishing attempts, malware, and ransomware. The revocation of Article 370, which granted Kashmir a degree of independence, has led to protests in Kashmir and a curfew enforced by the Indian army, which has further escalated tensions. The cyber conflict between India and Pakistan serves as a reminder of how physical conflicts can spill over into the virtual world.
The Impact of a Three-Month Curfew in Kashmir and the Importance of Finding Diplomatic Solutions
The Indian government's decision to impose a curfew and cut off internet and mobile connections in the Kashmir region for over three months was met with protests and led to serious humanitarian crises. While the curfew has been partially lifted, the ban on SMS text messages and internet still remains, denying fundamental rights such as freedom of communication. In situations like this, where tensions are high, the use of computer hacking to cover up protests and cause damage becomes commonplace. Therefore, it is essential that nations approach conflicts with humanity and strive to find diplomatic solutions that prioritize people's well-being. This episode demonstrates the need for peace and freedom for the people of Kashmir, who have suffered through war and unrest for centuries.