🔢 Key Takeaways
- Lewis Howes stresses on the importance of a clear path to overcome struggles and self-doubt in achieving greatness. With personal examples, scientific studies, and research, his book provides a prescription to help manifest ideas into the world.
- In order to achieve success, it's important to understand and work through the three fears that cause self-doubt: fear of failure, fear of success, and fear of judgement. Failure is necessary for learning and growth, and success should be pursued despite the risks.
- Successful people may struggle with fears of judgment, failure, and success, but these fears can be managed by shifting focus to goals, relationships, and recognizing one's own worth.
- Playing sports can help you develop a growth mindset and embrace mistakes as opportunities to learn. To overcome fear of failure in life, practice self-acceptance, forgiveness, and belief in yourself as a positive self-coach.
- Acknowledge and reconcile with your past, define a meaningful mission that benefits others, and let it drive your purpose and growth for a fulfilling life journey.
- By serving others and making a positive impact, you can create greatness for yourself and those around you, both in your personal life and in a business setting. Think beyond personal success and consider how you can use your skills to give back.
- Businesses can have a greater impact on the world by creating a meaningful mission beyond just personal success. Identify your passions, talents, and problems to solve and align them with your mission for a fulfilling and successful career.
- Regularly reflect on your passions and goals to ensure they align with your authentic self and create meaningful value. This will help you create a clear, flexible, and evolving mission that aligns with your true identity. Allow yourself space and time to reflect and evolve.
- Our identity is not fixed, it can change as we grow and work on ourselves. Setting goals that excite us and asking who we need to become to reach those goals can lead to personal growth and evolution.
- Facing your fears and accepting yourself is the first step towards finding peace. Change starts from within, and progress can be made by taking one step at a time towards your meaningful mission.
- Success doesn't guarantee happiness, and seeking external validation can lead to struggles with mental health. It's important to love and accept oneself first to create a fulfilling life based on service and self-belief.
- Self-love and inner peace are essential for sustained success. Clarity on a meaningful mission and facing challenges with grace can help avoid falling back into old patterns. The journey to mastery is ongoing.
- To find happiness and success, focus on a meaningful mission and serve it while also helping others. Let go of negative emotions and reactions that don't serve the mission, and make it a goal to make someone else's day better.
- Discover your unique gifts and talents, tap into your full potential, and pursue your dreams to make a meaningful impact on the world around you.
📝 Podcast Notes
Lewis Howes on Overcoming Self-Doubt and The Greatness Mindset
In the Mindset Mentor Podcast, Lewis House talks about his new book, The Greatness Mindset, and the reason behind writing it. He shares that he wished he had a clear path with personal examples, scientific studies, and research to guide him during his struggles with relationship pain, breakups, and business partnerships. He wanted to give people the same type of prescription that could support them. Lewis also emphasizes the importance of overcoming self-doubt, which he considers the killer of dreams. His goal is to help people experience flow energy, a peaceful state that allows them to create something beautiful or great by manifesting and alchemizing any idea into the world.
Overcoming Self-Doubt: Understanding Your Three Fears.
Lewis Howes discusses the three fears that cause self-doubt: the fear of failure, the fear of success, and the fear of judgment. As an athlete, he learned that in order to succeed, one must fail and learn from their mistakes. While failure may not be enjoyable, it provides valuable feedback on what does and doesn't work. Fear of failure can hold people back from taking action towards their goals. Fear of success can also be a limiting factor as success can bring judgement and lack of support from others. It's important to recognize and work through these fears to overcome self-doubt and achieve success.
Overcoming the Fears That Can Hold Successful People Back
Successful people often face fears of judgment, failure, and success. These fears can hold them back and cause self-doubt. The fear of judgment, or worrying about what others think of them, can be the biggest obstacle for some. Believing that one is not enough can fuel these fears. To overcome these fears, it is important to learn how to manage relationships in a different way, focus on goals and results, and recognize that the core belief fueling these fears is often centered around not feeling like one is enough.
Overcoming Fear of Failure through Sports and Positive Self-Image
The fear of failure is a common obstacle that holds people back the most. However, playing sports can help ingrain the mindset of being ok with making mistakes and learning from them. When starting a new venture or pursuing a meaningful mission, it's essential to focus on what gets you closer to your goals and aligns with your purpose. Accepting and loving yourself, letting go of shame, guilt, insecurity, and forgiving yourself for past mistakes is crucial. It's essential to instill belief in yourself when self-doubt creeps in to become a positive self-coach. This helps break free from the fear of judgment and the fear of success to reach new heights in life.
The Power of a Healing Journey and a Meaningful Mission
Lewis Howes emphasizes the importance of going on a healing journey to reconcile with one's past actions and experiences. This process does not have to be shared with the world, but it is vital to mend these memories within yourself. Additionally, he highlights the difference between pursuing goals and dreams versus having a meaningful mission, which involves serving others and making a positive impact on the world. A meaningful mission is a win-win experience where everyone around you benefits, not just yourself. Howes encourages individuals to define their meaningful mission in life and use it to drive their purpose, growth, and transformation consistently.
Creating a Meaningful Mission That Impacts Others
The idea of a meaningful mission involves more than just personal goals and success. It includes thinking of others and how you can make a positive impact on the world. By serving others and making a difference, you can create greatness for yourself and those around you. Even in a business setting, finding ways to give back and make a difference, like supporting a charity or organization, can lead to more success and fulfillment in the long run. Think beyond just achieving personal success and consider how you can use your skills, resources, and platform to create a meaningful mission that impacts others.
The Power of Meaningful Missions in Business
Creating meaning beyond personal success can benefit businesses in the long run. A good example of this is Tim Sykes, who, despite making millions trading penny stocks, felt unfulfilled until he started getting involved in charity work. He now has his own charity and donates a percentage of every sale towards it. By developing and crafting a meaningful mission from the beginning, businesses can have a powerful impact on the world. It's important to figure out your passions, unique talents, and the problems you want to solve in order to align them with your mission. This can lead to a fulfilling and successful career.
Reflection and Realignment: Aligning Passion with Your Authentic Self
It's important to regularly reflect on your passions and goals, and determine if they still align with your authentic self and create meaningful value. This reflection can be done at the end of a season or milestone, such as an anniversary or completing a project. Ask yourself if you are still passionate, stepping into your authentic power, and solving a problem that excites you. This will help you create a clear, flexible, and evolving mission that aligns with your true identity. As Alan Watts said, "You're under no obligation to be who you were five minutes ago." So always give yourself the space and time to reflect and evolve.
Our Identity: A Fluid Concept
Our identity is not set in stone and can change as we work on ourselves. We may think we know who we are, but our subconscious behaviors and reactions can reveal new aspects of ourselves that we weren't aware of before. It's important to set goals that excite us and put us on a path towards a future way of being, even if it takes years to achieve. We should also ask ourselves who we need to become in order to reach these goals, which may involve letting go of old fears and developing new skills. Ultimately, our identity is a flexible concept that can grow and evolve as we do.
The uncomfortable journey of healing.
The journey of healing is not easy and can be uncomfortable, but it is worth it. It takes a lot of courage to face your fears and have uncomfortable conversations with yourself and others. However, it is only when you accept the parts of yourself that you are holding onto that you can find peace. Change starts from within, and it is only when you change yourself that the things around you will change. Even if the journey feels hard, if you have a meaningful mission, it is essential to keep going. It may take time, but progress can be made by taking one step at a time.
The Slippery Slope of Success and Self-Acceptance
People often pursue success because they believe it will make them feel good enough, but this is a slippery slope. Even if they achieve great success, they might still feel unhappy and struggle with depression, addiction, and suicide. Instead of seeking validation and acceptance from others or external achievements, it's essential to love and accept oneself first. This is not easy, but it's crucial to creating based on an energy of service and wanting to make a difference. Moreover, self-belief is essential for achieving one's full potential, and it doesn't matter if others doubt you as long as you believe in yourself.
The Importance of Inner Mastery for Long-Term Success
Even if you have talent and support, it's essential to learn how to accept and love yourself internally for long-term success. Many talented individuals have blown their opportunities because they haven't mastered the inner game. Learning to create from a place of peace and abundance is possible when you master your inner self. The journey to healing is ongoing and never-ending, and life will always throw challenges at us. However, if we learn to face them courageously and with grace, we can avoid falling back into old ways that hold us back. It's all about having clarity on a meaningful mission and not letting negative emotions consume us.
The Importance of a Meaningful Mission and Serving Others
Lewis Howes and Rob Dial discuss the importance of having a meaningful mission and serving that mission rather than serving one's ego. They emphasize asking oneself if negative emotions and reactions are serving the mission and taking action to let go of them if they are not. They also stress the importance of helping others and making it a mission to make someone else's day better as a way to combat negative feelings and find happiness and success. The key is to focus on the meaningful mission as a north star and find ways to serve it while also helping others.